11 June 2010

Count down ends!

A few memories from Germany 2006



Photobucket

GOOAAALLLL! Aus vs Japan Germany Kaiserslauten



Photobucket





Photobucket

Aus Vs Cro Family Snap! Germany 2006



Photobucket


When I was still in High School in 2006 I took my first ever trip overseas; my introduction to the rest of the world was Germany's FIFA World Cup. In that one month of breathless passion I experienced such an unreal and raw time, to my young eyes everything was golden, glittering and exciting. I suppose timing had a lot to do with it, my age, Australia's situation as well as their relative success made my time in Germany ever more the 'life changing' experience. So, as South Africa was approaching and my family made plans to make the pilgrimage again it obviously got me thinking about our time in Germany and just how unexplainable it was, so this time I thought it'd be fun to document the whole process to share with everyone! 

I started counting down 128 days ago via this blog… Today, there is just one day to go and I'm sitting in the airport waiting for my flight. I'll arrive in Johannesburg on Friday morning, awaiting for me will be a whole country bursting out of it's seams with pride and passion as well as 1000's of fans from all over the world. Everyone's there for one reason. A mass of humans ready to enjoy themselves, their inhibitions gone - ready to hug any random that walks past…

It's been a rather entertaining little project for me to have on the side and has been a great way to keep up to date with the lead up to the tournament. The best thing is that the real fun begins now! 

There's no doubt that over the next few weeks there'll be lots to see, some beautiful, maybe some ugly.  I hope to take as many pictures as possible to share and upload. 

Most of all hopefully it's safe and hopefully Australia does well! 

No comments: