25 February 2010

Jabulani



jabulani south africa 2010
Photobucket





Today kiddies we’re going to learn about the new World Cup ball!

Meet Jabulani, the official World Cup South Africa 2010 match ball. It’s round and looks like a football, it has 11 colours that represent all sorts of things and is made in the world’s manufacturing capital, China.

It’s said that the ball has received considerable academic input with the choice to make the ball out of 8 panels (last WC ball had 14) that are three-dimensional and thermally bonded. The surface of the ball is textured with grooves, a technology developed by Adidas that supposedly improves the ball’s aerodynamics. Jabulani means ‘to celebrate’ in Zulu and the ball represents South Africa’s diversity and harmony. Awwww.

I also included a picture of the first World Cup ball Telstar from Mexico 1970. This original and well known football design was painted in black and white so that it would be more visible on black and white television. It has 32 panels - 4 times the amount that the Jabulani has!

Personally, I'm a sucker for anything old-school/vintage and have always loved the traditional black and white football...


Which do you like more? OR Which World Cup ball is your favorite? 



Today! dry hair:Blog:go to meeting:take bike to fix it place: Visit sonya, ziggy and 
doggies:do uni work:send parking fine appeal:book dentist:eat ice cream

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm more old school when it comes to my soccer balls (and even boots, I want real leather, not synthetic crap).

When I think of WC footballs I think of the Tango series, first starting in Argentina WC in '78, if I remember correct.

I prefer the B&W balls rather than colour.